I accomplished one of my major goals for the week and today is only Monday. I introduced myself to the cute girl at work. “Nice to meet you,” and then we both walked away.
I’m doing the Netflix thing. And the satellite TV thing. It’s probably a good thing I got my last paycheck today from the previous employer — ten days late, but who’s counting. (I am and I was pissed.)
So far I’ve watched a couple movies.
“Before Sunset” “Before Sunrise” is 100% worth watching. It’s an excellent romantic film. The plot is simple (an American meets a French girl on the train and they hang out for the night), but portrayed excellently. It’s one of the better jobs I’ve seen of actors conveying emotion through body language.
Tonight I watched “Beautiful Girls.” Somehow I think Rosie O’Donnell was supposed to be one of these “Beautiful Girls.” If they’d scrubbed her role out of the movie, it would’ve been good. It’s not one of those movies you watch and feel satisfied and more alive after watching. You see it, get done watching, and think: “Yeah, that’s kinda how it goes.” People live, screw up, and get some sort of lesson out of it. This movie was just an example, and probably not the best one, but it was alright.
Going to bed by 10pm is kind of a drag. It makes me feel old. Then again, watching a movie wherein the main characters discuss love/marriage, and the perceived difficulty of finding love when approaching 30… well, it’s not exactly something I’ve ever wanted to be able to relate to other people about. And this will be what I’m thinking about while I try to fall asleep.
Or maybe just impossible spaceships and planets and aliens. I will hide in science fiction for at least a few minutes.
From the OLD, OLD, OOOOOLD archives, here are some of my favorites. Please share your favorite memories in honor of my sometime-around-now 5th anniversary of blogging. (Note: The posts chosen below represent recovered posts from October 2002 through the end of 2004.)
- yay. – my oldest recovered post (although I actually started in/around September 2002)
- Hobo Art – one of the few lingering hobo related memories from my site (I can’t find the rest of the oldest posts)
- Holy Expletive, look at that squirrel!
- Tired Road – a poem about the time I pulled a 540 degree turn on the interstate at 70mph while trying to take Alien Ant Farm out of the CD player in my blue ’92 Ford Escort hatchback
- Grits – Ooh Aah lyrics – this song will always be awesome
- Modiglian – my favorite memories of this poem are of sitting in Jenny’s dorm room in Kaufmann and trying to read through it without running out of breath. At various points I remember Jake, Jenny, Rachel, and 4L all giving it a shot. Rachel got through the whole thing in one go.
- KJ-52 Followup – the only KJ-52 post I still have
- Valentine’s Special: Date the Jake – ladies, he’s still single! Waste no time, date the Jake NOW!
- Still Waiting – leaning towards emo?
- Jax STP 2004 – oh, the memories
As a brief update on the situation with the archives, I’m still missing a lot of old posts and there’s about six months from January 2005 through June 2005 that I probably won’t be able to recover due to an error in my backup of those months. But please enjoy the ones that have come back! Also, I’ve done my best to edit the archives to remove any full names (other than maybe Double-J and Luebbe and a couple references to Jake). If you want your name further hidden or expunged from any specific post, let me know.
This was the sky while waiting for the bus this morning.
I’m not loving the hour long bus rides. The thing that keeps me going is the fact that it’d cost me $100 more a month to park downtown and probably add another 30 minutes to my commute each way if I didn’t take the bus. Plus, I’m saving gas money.
Oh, and the environment — yeah, I’m saving that, too. I love the earth. I’ll be back in a minute, I’m going outside to hug a tree…
Go play Balls, a free flash game. It’s kinda fun. I totally rocked it my first try so I’m not gonna bother trying again until somebody gets further than level 18.